CALL US ON: 01698 642013

Scottish PPI Claims Logo


Scotland Wide PPI Specialists

PPI Quick Questions and Quick Answers

18 September 2017

Cutting through the jargon around PPI and how to make a complaint can be tough. And so we've cut out the flowery words and long-winding explanations with our quick questions and quick answers…

PPI Questions

Is there a time limit on how far back I can claim PPI?

NO, you can complain about mis-selling no matter how long along ago the PPI policy was mis-sold to you.

We have a joint PPI policy; can we still make a claim for compensation?

YES, you can complain about the sale of a joint PPI policy.

You may need the signatures of both parties to make a claim, although this isn't always the case. Different lenders have different rules on this so contact them to find out more.

If you are both making a claim but what to be paid separately, then you need to be clear about this with your lender.

If you are unable to get both signatories to sign the PPI complaint letter or form, you can proceed with your half of the claim, claiming back your half of the compensation.

Can I complain on behalf of someone else?

YES, you can make a complaint on behalf of someone else but - and here's the important bit -you need to have their permission to do so.

Elderly relatives, vulnerable adults and so on will need someone to help them and the Financial Conduct Authority has told banks to help these customers (as they should all customers!) as much as possible. As a result, on the websites of some banks and lenders, you will find a section especially for relatives or those people helping someone to make a complaint about PPI.

The FCA has further advice -you should be prepared to provide evidence that you are authorised to complain on someone's behalf.The lender or bank will suggest what this evidence needs to be.

Can I claim PPI compensation on behalf of someone who is now deceased?

YES, you canas long as you have the legal authority to do so.

  • If someone left a willthe bank or lender may ask to see a copy of the 'grant of probate' and you will then probably have consent to continue with the claim.
  • If someone didn't leave a willthe bank or lender may ask for the 'grant of letters of administration'. In this case, you may need the permission from all administrators to go on and make the PPI compensation claim.

Can I make a PPI complaint even though I live abroad?

YES, you can. Just follow the same steps as anyone living in the UK, either using the lenders online banking system and PPI forms, or by engaging a claim management company to act on your behalf.

What other questions would you want answering in relation to PPI? Call our team for the answers!